Exploring the Florida Everglades
Trip 1: Friday, January 10 - Saturday, January 11
Trip 2: Friday, March 20 - Saturday, March 21
Often described as a swamp or forested wetland, the Everglades is actually a very slow-moving river. It is the largest remaining subtropical wilderness in the United States, comprised of nine habitats that provide a home to many wild animals, including 16 threatened or endangered species. Aside from providing shelter and protection for scores of wildlife, the Everglades is an important asset to humans, as it provides drinking water for seven million Floridians.
The Friends of Boca Grande will take 12 travelers to discover and experience the Florida Everglades by airboat, by tram and by foot!
- Take an airboat tour of the River of Grass (1 hour).
- Enjoy a two-hour narrated tram tour of the Everglades National Park at Shark Valley, the “heart of the Everglades.” At the halfway point, a 45-foot-high observation deck offers an opportunity to observe the tranquil vistas of the Everglades, extending 20 miles in all directions.
- Learn about the building of the Tamiami Trail, the opening of Florida’s “last frontier” at the Collier-Seminole State Park and see the last existing Bay City Walking Dredge, used to construct the trail through the vast wilderness of the Everglades and Big Cypress Swamp.
- Visit the Big Cypress Swamp National Preserve, notable for its 500-year-old cypresses, whose roots are especially adapted to grow underwater for months at a time, and learn from a ranger about habitat, wildlife and the preserve.
Walking on well-kept trails; some stairs.
Leave Boca Grande Community Center at 7:00am sharp. Stay overnight at the Ivey House Inn in Everglade City. Return to Boca Grande by 7:00pm.
Included in your trip
- Round trip transportation from Boca Grande in a 14-passenger executive van with bucket seats and extra headroom.
- All meals, including a wine/beer reception (one breakfast, two lunches and one dinner).
- Accommodations at the Ivey House Inn.
- All entrance fees and tour costs.
**JANUARY TRIP is currently filled. MARCH TRIP HAS LIMITED SPOTS AVAILABLE.
Please call the Friends office at 941-964-0827 to be placed on a wait list.
$595 per person double occupancy ($685 single occupancy)
Price includes a $50 tax-deductible donation to Friends